Saturday, August 2, 2008

Decisions

My whole life, I have wondered if I would ever find the solution to easy decision making.

I remember assuring myself during grade school that decision making would get easier as I got older, because as we get older, things become clearer. We get to understand who we are, what we want, and where we want to go; and suddenly that arduous decision of choosing whose house I would sleep over at, or whose party I would attend, or whose best friend I would become - seems so irrelevant.

With age, I was enabled greater freedom to making decisions pertaining to my life.

Suddenly, I found myself drawing out SWOT analysis charts to decide where I wanted to go to university, what I wanted to study, where I was going to live, and perhaps most importantly, what I was going to do with my life after. This, was hardly a notch down in intensity from the trivial decisions that so plagued me as a child.

My fickleness in decision making has inundated me since childhood.

I remember as a child, sleeping over at my friend's house - and waking up in the middle of the night realizing that I had changed my mind; and wanted to go back home. Much to the dismay of my parents of course, who had to come pick me up at three in the morning.

The thing is, I don't know if it’s the binding commitment that a decision is associated with, the sole liability related to the outcome - or if it's simply the thought of narrowing down so many options to JUST one - that frustrates me.

Looking back, I think it is my apprehension to missing out on opportunities that is my greatest weakness. I tend to find myself making decisions that allow me the greatest flexibility to change my mind, just incase I find that the grass is greener on the other side; yet again.

Over time, I have come to realize that decision making is as simple or complex as one makes it. And a decision is only as valid as the circumstance allows.

Nothing in life is permanent.

At the end of the day, I try to ask myself this question when making a decision,“Would I rather deal with the regret of taking that decision [after realizing it wasn’t the best choice]; or wonder for the rest of my life what would have happened had I made that decision [upon giving it up for something else]”

2 comments:

plug said...

I couldn't have said it better myself. This is precisely why I used to wish I was still in eighth grade. Or seventh. Now I say "fuck it" and move on.. hahah.

Love it!!
It's about time too. Bring bring, the next post :D

Love you!
x

Queen S said...

"The grass is greener on the other side" is a common way of thinking in this day and age, one would have imagined having so many options would be a positive thing...but people are overwhelmed by the variety, myself as prime example.

I think where ever you are, is where you're meant to be coz at the end of the day, you make yourself happy, not the country you live in or the degree you have. You can be as happy as you choose to be (well most of us anyway).

I think the biggest thing is to have the freedom to choose, not the choice itself...I just talked myself into a corner didn't I (once again...these late nights- early start combos have got to stop!!!!)

Luff u's fellas!